George Louis Crocket, author of "Two Centuries in East Texas" was the "Grand Old Man of East Texas" - known and honored as a churchman, scholar, historian, humanitarian, and craftsman. The twinkling eyed Irishman was born in a two room house in San Augustine, June 3, 1861, the youngest of five children of George Fulton Crocket and Elmira Louisa Sharp Crocket; he died January 3, 1936, in Memorial Hospital, Nacogdoches, Texas of a heart ailment. After completing his education in the public schools of San Augustine and at the University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn., Mr. Crocket served as pastor of the Episcopal Church in San Augustine for forty-two years and as part time pastor of Nacogdoches for twenty-four years. He did missionary work in Lufkin, Corrigan, Garrison, New Birmingham, and Center. In 1929 Mr. Crocket became Professor Emeritus of History at Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College in Nacogdoches, where he collected and organized data relating to the history of East Texas. Mr. Crocket was a civic minded citizen, taking a vital part in the work of the Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary Club, the East Texas Historical Society, the Nacogdoches Historical Society, and the Boy Scouts of America. (Crocket, George, Two Centuries in East Texas, Southwest Press, 1962)
Scope and Content Note
Letters, notebooks, lectures, articles, speeches, biographical studies and other papers relating to feuds, rebellions, churches, schools and colleges in San Augustine and Nacogdoches. Includes folklore, family history and sketches on Texans and prominent U.S. and foreign citizens. Includes maps and charts, newspaper clippings on history and world events of 1900-1930. A significant portion of this collection contains George Crocket's original art work.
This item may be protected under Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law. It is available for non-commercial research and education. For permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the East Texas Research Center at email@example.com.