E.J. Campbell High School; Prior to 1903 African American children in Nacogdoches were taught at two different locations by Will Sanders, Peyton Edwards Walton, Sr., and T. C. Ayers. In 1903, the schools were combined and moved to a building on Shawnee Street to create the Nacogdoches Colored School. This building, which is still standing on Shawnee Street, educated African American children of all grades. In 1937, the school board voted to change the name to E.J. Campbell School in honor of a former principal. The building continued to educate all grade levels until 1954 at which time high school students moved into a new building across the street. The high school became known as E.J. Campbell High School and the old building became Emaline Carpenter Elementary School. From 1965 to 1969, NISD offered a “freedom of choice” plan with schools becoming fully integrated in the 1970-71 school year.
This item may be protected under Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law. It is available for non-commercial research and education. For permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the East Texas Research Center at email@example.com.