About this collection
Cason Monk-Metcalf Funeral Directors started in the last decade of the 1800s and was incorporated in 1906 as Cason Monk & Co. The original owners were D.K. Cason, R.C. Monk, Edwin Gaston Jr., and Boutin Cason. They ran their funeral business above the Cason Monk Hardware Store on Main St. in Nacogdoches, TX. In 1947 the company acquired and moved into Branch Patton's house on Mound St. where it remained until 1986. At that time Cason Monk & Co. merged with Oakley Metcalf Funeral Home and relocated to its current location on North Street across from Sunset Cemetery. The funeral home is currently operated by Dignity Memorial. Volumes will be added to the digital collection as completed and the original records remain in the custody and care of Cason Monk-Metcalf Funeral Directors. Once completed, the collection will consist of over 100 volumes starting in 1900 of historic funeral records from the two businesses.
The 1900 through 1929 volumes include the following information and are searchable by name of deceased.
- Name of deceased
- Who ordered the burial
- Age of deceased
- Cause of death
- Date of death & burial
- Costs associated with burial
The later volumes include the following information; however, not all records are complete. The records are searchable by name of deceased, race, physician's last name, cause & date of death, occupation, religion, parents' name and burial place.
- Name, age, date of birth and race of deceased
- Marital status, religion and occupation of deceased
- Where the deceased lived, died and was buried.
- Deceased parents' name
- Cause and date of death
- Where and when the funeral service was held.
- The name of the clergyman who performed the service and where he lived.
- The name of the certifying physician and where he lived.
- Any costs assoicated with the funeral including type of casket, clothes, embalming and flowers.